Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday, Chocolate & Tuna


AdvoCare® Plastic BagsToday is day 17 of my 24 Day Challenge with AdvoCare.  I've lost a few pounds, quite a few inches, can feel my pants getting looser, and probably most important - feel awesome!   Besides feeling the best I've felt in quite a few years,  I am also eating healthier.  I have been trying some great new recipes and have two more to share today.  I started my morning off with a 30 minute walk, an awesome chocolate shake (with a spoonful of peanut butter), and then a trip to the grocery!



Recently I read a recipe for Chocolate Protein Bars (think brownies that are GOOD for you!) on Jamie Eason's blog .  One night this week I was going to make these, only to find that one of my sweet girls had put the vanilla whey protein container in the pantry . .  empty!  So, to satisfy my sweet tooth, I settled for a rice cake with peanut butter and a few mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top.  Today I made sure I purchased  the vanilla whey protein powder and came home and mixed these babies up & baked them!

While the brownies protein bars were baking, I mixed up "twisted tuna" for lunch.  Growing up in Florida, we actually had avocado and lime trees in our back yard.  Most of the avocados you see in the grocery here are not the same kind of avocados we had.  I think I remember my dad and granddaddy calling them alligator pears.  They were huge - one of those Florida avocados would make about 3 of the little ones we buy on sale for 10/$10!  Anyway, back to the recipe.  This tuna salad can be adapted to your tastes.  I think it might just be my new favorite thing for lunch!   If you decide to try either of these recipes, let me know what you think please.


Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars
Here's what you will need to make this treat -
1 cup Oat Flour*
4 Egg Whites
2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
1/2 cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
8 oz Berry flavored Baby Food (I used Apple Blueberry)
3 tbsp Cocoa
4 oz Water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix dry ingredients together in bowl.  In a separate bowl mix egg whites, baby food and water.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together.
Spray square baking dish with a non-stick butter spray and pour batter into dish.
Bake 20 - 30 minutes.
Makes 16 squares (1 serving = 2 squares).
Nutrition Info:  96 calories, 1.4 grams Fat, 12 grams Carbs, 10 grams Protein.
* An easy way to make Oat Flour is to grind up old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder or food processor until it is the consistency of flour.  I store mine in the freezer.


"Twisted" Tuna
1 can water packed Tuna
1 avocado
1 stalk celery
1/2 lime
cilantro, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and peel.  Put avocado in a mixing bowl and "smash" (like the technical term?) it with a form til smooth.  Open the tuna, drain the water and add to bowl.  Chop your celery and cilantro and add.   Squeeze lime juice over all and mix well.  Season to your like with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and more cilantro and lime juice if needed.

This would be great served on a bed of lettuce, stuffed into a pita pocket, wrapped in a tortilla or lettuce . . .

If you've got any questions about AdvoCare products or the 24 Day Challenge, you can find more info here  or leave me a comment or send me an e-mail (mary.vannus@yahoo.com).

Hope you have a great weekend!

Mary


1 comment: